Saturday, May 19, 2012

Update From Andrew

     It's a sunny Saturday afternoon and I just finished jump-starting my buddy's car and drying some dishes.  This time I have a legitimate excuse for not posting anything for a long time (besides my laziness).  Actually, I've been waiting on Prom pictures!  Unfortunately today, four weeks after the big event, I am still waiting...  Oh well, perhaps, Dear Reader, you now have something to look forward to (or dread I guess ;).  In the meantime I shall give you all a rundown of the exciting things that are going on in my life. 

  1. School's Almost Over!
    That's right folks, Yours Truly is way excited to get away from Timpview High School.  I just finished my four AP tests (Biology, European History, English Comp, Calculus) and will know my scores some time in July.  The last day is on Wednesday which brings me to my next point:
  2. I'm going to Canada!
    I depart for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island on Thursday.  This is perfect because my father can get in his viking and WWI sites, and my mother her Anne Of Green Gables ones.  As for me, I'm just happy to tag along. 
  3. Movies!
    I just had the first movie night that I've had for several months.  The playlist?  Stardust and then Signs.  I had seen Signs before which I find to be a tense and eventually uplifting movie, but I hadn't seen Stardust.  I had turned down the chance to see it when it was first in theaters based on some negative reviews, but I found it super awesome and fun-to-watch.
  4. Books! Dracula by Bram Stoker.  Need I say more?
  5. Tree Street Computers!
    Drew's computer-repair business is coming to town baby!  Check us out at www.treestreetcomputers.com.

Yours Truly,
Drew

7 comments:

  1. This might be really random, but does your Dad perchance know of any good books-fictional or non-fictional about WW1? I'm in the market. I hope your trip goes well! Are you sure you can't fit me in your carry-on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His two favorites are The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell and Testiment of Youth by Vera Britain. He also loves reading poetry especially Wilfred Owen. He says that in terms of a good history of the war the one by John Keegan called The First World War. even just the first chapter is a wonderful intro to the war. I have just been reading Rilla of Ingleside which I would highly recommend.

      Delete
    2. In terms of good poetry he likes a volume by Jon Stallworthy called Anthem for Doomed Youth. As for the suitcase, unfortunately I am already abroad... Good luck on the book hunting.

      Delete
  2. Funny! During one of my more recent D.I. trips, I bought a copy of The Great War and Modern Memory. It was a wonderful read on the influence the war had on literature. Thank you so much Mr. Tate, and Andrew for the recommendations. I've only read a few poems of Owen and I am keen to check out more of his works as well as Stallworthy. I need to still read Rilla of Ingleside-I only ever read the first 5 Anne of Green Gables over and over. I'll take your word for it and read them through when I get the chance. Thank you once again! Since I am too late to be a stowaway I'd be content with some photos of your travels :) Enjoy your trip and your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-isn't there also a poem called Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure is. One of his greats! I almost had to memorize it but I memorized "In Flnders Fields" and "The Soldier" instead.

      Delete
  4. Those ones are some of my favorites! I love "In Flanders Fields" so much. I now have a new goal to add to my summer bucket list: memorize my favorite poems. How many poems do you know? What was the one you performed for Chivarly Day?

    ReplyDelete