Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunshine

Hello Everyone!  It's been a while.  For my AP Language-Comp class I wrote a personal narrative. My Dad quite liked it so I thought I would share it with all of you.

Sunshine

 
      There was a shark under the boat. That's what my cousin Will told me, a tiger shark. Grandpa said that there wasn't, but Will and I knew that there was. Will saw it. Will knew lots of things like that there was a secret rock under the boat. You could get to it and touch it with your toes, but you had to go through a place where garbage fish were. I was too scared.
      Grandpa took me on a wave runner to explore the little fingers of Lake Powell. He even let me drive for a bit. I drove around and then we found a sunny little island full of cool sandcastles. They had little sticks in them that held them up.
      Later Jensen, one of my older cousins, got me to go knee boarding. I flew across the big green mountains that our motor boat made. I was kind of scared at first, but then I felt the comforting sun on my back and the cool spray on my cheeks. Bump, bump, bump I went behind the boat. It felt good to be free and to fly in the sunshine, the warm happy sunshine. The waves made me cool, and the sun gave me joy, and I was the sun, the happy, happy sun, flying high over the water.
      Just a few months later, my disease came. A sore on my face wouldn't heal. The sun wasn't my friend anymore. When I went outside he glared down at me. He stopped me from walking home from school with my friends. He made me wear a funny hat, and I couldn't go to Lake Powell anymore. I had to get lots of shots that hurt. I had to stay inside my house even when the sun was smiling and the sprinklers were going.
      Then one day, when the sun wasn't as bright, the leaves fell off the trees on to my neighbor’s lawn. He was a nice man who often smiled and let me play in his basement. I decided to go rake his leaves because he was old and could not do it himself. I got the rake and went over and began to work. It was hard work, and I was tired. The slick sweat rolled down my back and I thought of going home. The spiteful wind kept blowing more leaves onto the green lawn, and as soon as I got them all into a pile, more would come down. Finally I got all of them picked up, and into black bags. The man came out of his house and said “Thank you!” His smile warmed me more deeply than the sunshine, and suddenly I was the sun again, flying high over the world.

10 comments:

  1. Andrew, I love this. You are a great story teller and I like how you share yourself through personal experience mixed with personal trials. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your story. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted this Andrew. I like the way communicate your memories as though you were still a child. It gives me a good feel for what it was like for you, and reminds me of the courage you have always shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You pack a punch of emotion and sincerity in a really small space. Good job! You're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I loved how you showed us how you felt, rather than telling us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew, this is beautiful. I love hearing your childhood perspective. You are so amazing. I admire you more than most anyone. I can't imagine another child being more courageous. Not me, not mine. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, I really enjoy hearing your stories. You are a really great writer. I think it runs in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your encouragement and input! You are awesome :)

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this - powerful imagery, great story-telling, and very climatic. Wonderful!

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad was right (as I've found he often is) - this is very good! Thanks for sharing it.

    Bart and I were just talking tonight about how awesome we think you are.

    ReplyDelete